One year ago this week, hundreds of people gathered on the Newman University campus for the "big reveal" of a new plan to redevelop Wichita’s downtown riverfront. The international design firm Populous promised a "bold vision" for what the east bank of the river might look like: The billion-dollar Riverfront Legacy Master Plan contained 17 major projects, including a new performing arts center and a new convention center. There would be 12 acres of green space, and a pedestrian bridge to...
Special Coverage: Coronavirus and COVID-19
- This Kansas Town Was The First To Line Up For Polio Vaccine, But Now Pandemic Skeptics Abound
- One Kansas Ambulance Ride Leads to Another When Packed Hospitals Cannot Handle Non-Covid Patients
- Nursing Home Residents 'Ecstatic' To Get Vaccine
- Kansas Moves People 65+ Up In Line For COVID-19 Vaccinations
- Mask Mandate, Business Curfews And Gathering Limits Extended In Sedgwick County
Commentary & Podcasts
Jason Smith is a founding member of the Oklahoma City-based band Traindodge and plays bass in the band Rainbows Are Free as well. Traindodge has released albums such as Time Will Never Know Your Name, I Am Forever, and On A Lake of Dead Trees.
NPR's Book Concierge returns with more books than ever: 380+ new titles handpicked by NPR staff and trusted critics. Find eight years of Concierge recommendations all in one place – that's nearly 2,500 great reads. Open the app now! Copyright 2020 NPR. To see more, visit https://www.npr.org.