Intrust Bank Arena Opens Today For Early In-Person Voting
Early in-person voting for the 2020 election begins today at Intrust Bank Arena in downtown Wichita.
The Sedgwick County Election Office said the arena is an ideal spot for a polling location. “It is centrally located near the bus lines, that way folks who are working downtown or traveling through the downtown area would have a place to vote, and it’s just such a large venue,” said Melissa Schneiders, deputy election commissioner.
“It can hold up to 50 voting stations for us, and we thought for a mega-site during the pandemic, social distancing, all the pieces fell together.”
People can also drop off their mail-in ballots at the arena’s check-in table without waiting in line. “By voting early, that kind of spreads out the peak of election-day voting, and that will help decrease long lines on election day,” Schneiders said.
Lots one and three at the arena are open for free parking. Voters will enter through the south lobby and go through entrance A.
The arena will be open most days from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. It will close early on Wednesday and Oct. 28 because of events already scheduled for the arena. The last day to vote there is Saturday, Oct. 31.
The Sedgwick County Election Office in the Historic County Courthouse is also an early voting site that opens today. It will be open daily from 8 a.m. until 5 p.m. Voting there ends at noon on Monday, Nov. 2.
Other early voting satellite locations in Sedgwick County will open Oct. 27. Those include:
- Bel Aire City Building, 7651 E. Central Park
- Goddard District Conference Center, 315 S. Main
- Grace Presbyterian Church, 5002 E. Douglas
- Haysville Community Library, 210 Hays
- Machinists Building, 3830 S. Meridian
- Park City City Hall, 1941 E. 61st St. North
- Progressive Missionary Baptist Church, 2727 E. 25th St. North
- Reformation Lutheran, 7601 E. 13th St. North
- Sedgwick County Extension Office, 7001 W. 21st St. North
- SEIU Building, 3340 W. Douglas
- Sharon Baptist Church, 2221 S. Oliver
- St. Andrew’s Lutheran, 2555 Hyacinth Lane
- Valley Center Community Center, 314 Clay
- Westlink Church of Christ, 10025 W. Central
- Woodland Lakes Community Church, 770 S. Greenwich
- Woodlawn Methodist Church, 431 S. Woodlawn, Derby
Nicole Grimes is an intern in the KMUW News Lab. She is a senior in Wichita State University's Elliott School of Communication.