Section Of East Kellogg Reopened After Bridge Demolition
Updated Saturday, Dec. 3, 4:00 p.m.: East Kellogg between Rock Road and Webb Road is now reopen to traffic after contractors completed removal of the Kansas Turnpike Authority (KTA) bridge earlier than expected.
According to a release from the city of Wichita, demolition of the bridge began just after 10 p.m. on Friday night and was completed well in advance of the projected Monday morning schedule.
Original story: The Kansas Turnpike Authority (KTA) will be demolishing a bridge over Kellogg near Webb Road this weekend. As a result, changes in traffic routes can be expected.
The bridge closed on Monday, Nov. 28, for the first step in the demolition process. In the next phase for the transportation construction project on East Kellogg, the bridge will be removed over the weekend, from 10 p.m. on Friday, Dec. 2, through 5 a.m. on Dec. 5.
What that means for travelers:
- All traffic exiting the Turnpike (I-35/KTA) at the Kellogg toll plaza will use the eastbound south frontage road. Drivers wanting to go west on Kellogg will need to use the provided U-Turn, one-half mile east of Webb Road.
- Access to the Turnpike (I-35/KTA) via westbound Kellogg will detour to Rock Road then come back eastbound to the Kellogg/KTA entrance.
Beginning Friday, Dec. 2, Kellogg between Rock and Webb Roads will be closed for the removal of the bridge:
- Eastbound Kellogg traffic will be diverted south on Rock Road, east on Harry and north on Webb Road to the south Kellogg frontage road – Westbound Kellogg traffic will detour north on Webb, west on Central and south on Rock Road back to Kellogg.
- Traffic exiting the Turnpike (I-35/KTA) at the Kellogg toll plaza will use the eastbound frontage road, and if wanting to travel west on Kellogg will use the U-turn, ½ mile east of Webb Road and follow the detour signs.
- Entrance to the Turnpike (I-35/KTA) from Kellogg will be prohibited during the bridge demolition. KTA traffic will need to follow the detour signs to the K-96 toll plaza.
Once the bridge demolition is complete, the Kansas Turnpike at the Kellogg toll plaza will be accessible via eastbound Kellogg only. Since all left turns at Webb Road will be prohibited, Kellogg drivers will need to use U-turn lanes one-half mile east of Webb on Kellogg and the U-turn lane at Rock Road.
Construction on the first East Kellogg Improvement project started in August 2015, including a redesigned Kellogg and Webb intersection and the widening of Kellogg from Webb to Greenwich. A second project, started earlier this year, will continue widening Kellogg to a six-lane freeway between Greenwich and K-96. In addition, new ramps will be constructed for southbound I-35/KTA to westbound US 54 and eastbound US 54 to both northbound and southbound I-35/KTA.
According to the City of Wichita, both projects are expected to be complete in late 2021, weather permitting.
Follow Abigail Beckman on Twitter @AbigailKMUW.
To contact KMUW News or to send in a news tip, reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org.