Each week, Fletcher Powell finds the independent and non-commercial films showing in Wichita and the surrounding areas and brings them to you in this handy guide.
"Smallgrass" Film Festival
January 17, 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Day-long family film festival includes Animalopolis, Babe, and Belle & Sebastian
Jim Erickson reviews some of this year's Oscar contenders:
- Theme And Character Are One In 'Selma'
- 'Imitation Game' Lacks Focus, But Is Still Outstanding
- ?'Wild' Is Completely Absorbing
- 'Theory of Everything' Feels Incomplete
- 'Whiplash' Is A Riveting Look At Musical Obsession
- 'Birdman' Is Many Things, But Most Of All It's Successful
- 'Nightcrawler' Isn't Pretty, But It Is Thought-Provoking
- 'Gone Girl' Is First-Rate, If Not Totally Believable
- 'Boyhood' Is Eventful, But Lacks Emotional Punch
- 'How To Train Your Dragon 2' Is Enjoyable, Despite Lack Of Surprises
- 'Grand Budapest Hotel' Is A Masterpiece of Symmetry