Friday is National Bike to Work Day! There will be several spots in Wichita where you can grab a free breakfast or lunch by bicycle. Find that information here.
But, if you’re kind of new to biking for transportation, here are a few quick tips for riding in Wichita:
- Wear a helmet! It doesn’t have to be fancy, but it does have to fit.
- You can ride on the sidewalk in Wichita—even downtown--but you must give the right-of-way to pedestrians.
- When you’re riding on the road, you’re subject to all the traffic rules that cars are.
- Try to stay to the right of the roadway to help with traffic flow…
- HOWEVER, you can scoot over a bit to stay away from parked cars on the street. Give them three to four feet of clearance to avoid DOORS.
- Be sure to use hand signals to let other vehicles know where you’re going and always try to make EYE CONTACT with other motorists.
- When you’re riding at night, you need at least a lamp on the front of your bike and a red reflector on back, though you can add more, of course!
- You can listen to tunes at home, but not on your earbuds while biking. Use your ears to listen for traffic!
- Download and print a bike map from the city of Wichita’s website, or be tech savvy and download a copy to keep on your phone.