Cooking With Fire: Frito Chili Pie
Josh Cary and Chef Tom Jackson share an easy recipe for these stay-at-home days.
Frito Chili Pie
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 poblano pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups canned San Marzano tomatoes (and sauce)
- 1 (15 oz) can kidney beans, drained, rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups beef stock
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup diced onion, for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your pellet grill to 375ºF, set up for direct grilling (no diffuser plate/door). Place a 12” cast iron skillet on the main cooking grate, near the flame, to preheat.
- When the skillet is hot, add your ground beef. Add the onion and pepper and cook until the beef is browned and onions are translucent in color, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and tomatoes. Cook for 2-3 minutes. Add the beans, beef stock and seasonings, and cook until the chili is thickened to desired consistency.
- Serve the chili over Fritos, topped with cheddar and onions.