Digital Democracy On Tap: Victory Gardens During COVID-19
KMUW's Engage ICT: Democracy on Tap is convening digitally on Tuesday, April 28, for a conversation about victory gardens. Our three panelists are answering questions about home gardening, to give you peace of mind—and food—during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Our expert panelists:
- Brian Mann, Victory Gardens of Maize
- Rebecca McMahon, K-State Research & Extension - Sedgwick County
- Paul White, P&P Seed and Bait Co.
Here's the conversation:
The Wichita Public Library has provided this list of further reading and resources on victory gardens. If you'd like to receive a Wichita Public Library card while the Library is closed to the public, call (316) 261- 8500 between 10:00 a.m. and 6:00 p.m., Monday through Saturday, and a staff member will issue your card over the phone. You'll be able to access e-books, e-audiobooks and databases on our Virtual Branch at wichitalibrary.org.
E-Books: These items are freely available through our Libby for Overdrive e-reader application with a Wichita Public Library Card via wichitaereads.com.
- Bubel, M. & Bubel N. (2011). Root Cellaring: natural cold storage of fruits & vegetables. Workman Publishing. wichita.overdrive.com/media/554232
- Egan, S. (2020). How to be a conscious eater: making food choices that are good for you, others, and the planet. Workman Publishing Company. wichita.overdrive.com/media/4905987
- Faires, N. (2011). The ultimate guide to homesteading: an encyclopedia of independent living. Skyhorse Publishing. wichita.overdrive.com/media/1645214
- Millard, E. (2014). Indoor kitchen gardening: turn your home into a year-round vegetable garden. Cool Springs Publishing. wichita.overdrive.com/media/1815225
- Hansen, A. L. (2017). The backyard homestead seasonal planner: what to do & when to do it. Story Publishing, LLC. wichita.overdrive.com/media/3221153
- Pursell, J. J. (2016). The herbal apothecary: 100 medicinal herbs and how to use them. Timber Press. wichita.overdrive.com/media/2577826
- Ruhlman, M. (2017). Grocery: the buying and selling of food in America. Abrams. wichita.overdrive.com/media/3287943
Articles: These Wichita Eagle articles are freely available with a Wichita Public Library card via the Ebscohost database or online.
- Andreatta, S. L. (2015). Through the Generations: Victory Gardens for Tomorrow’s Tables. Culture, Agriculture, Food & Environment, 37(1), 38–46. doi.org/10.1111/cuag.12046
- Gowdy-Wygant, C. (2013). Cultivating Victory : The Women’s Land Army and the Victory Garden Movement. University of Pittsburgh Press.
- Hall, K. M. (n.d.). A century later, victory gardens connect Americans again. Canadian Press, The.
- Onion, R. (2020, April 11). “Gardening is a really concrete way that people can feel empowered”: A historian explains how the “victory gardens” of our moment compare with those grown during World War I. Slate. slate.com/human-interest/2020/04/victory-garden-coronavirus-wwii- history.html
- Pauley, J. & Smith, T. (n.d.). Tracy Smith looks at the return of the Victory Garden. CBS News Sunday Morning.
- Rao, T. (2020, March 25). Food Supply Anxiety Brings Back Victory Gardens. New York Times. nytimes.com/2020/03/25/dining/victory-gardens-coronavirus.html
- Rowe, M. (2020, March 27). “Stay home and garden”: Coronavirus inspires spike in home gardening. Spokesman-Review, The (Spokane, WA).