Newman University Receives $1M Gift For Science Programs
A Wichita-based charitable foundation is giving a big gift to Newman University.
The Dwane L. and Velma Lunt Wallace Charitable Foundation continued its support of education in the Wichita community by providing a $1 million grant to Newman University.
The grant will be used to support Newman’s programs in science, nursing and allied health fields.
Dwane Wallace led the Cessna Aircraft Company from 1934 through 1975 and was considered an aviation industry pioneer.
The Wallace’s established their foundation in 1989 with a mission to support a wide range of programs and organizations, primarily in Wichita.
Over the years, the Wallace’s support provided financial assistance to community development and enhancement for projects like The Exploration Place.
Newman University Science, Nursing and Allied Health Programs Quick Facts:
- Newman University offers science, nursing and allied health programs in: biology; chemistry/physics; forensic science; healthcare science; mathematics; nursing; nurse anesthesia; occupational therapy assistant; radiologic technology; respiratory care, sonography; sports medicine, and pre-dentistry, pre-engineering, pre-medicine, pre-occupational therapy, pre-optometry, pre-pharmacy, pre-physical therapy and pre-veterinary science.
- 95 percent of Newman University pre-med graduates, who applied, have been accepted into medical schools for the past 15 years.
- 100 percent of Newman students who applied for medical school admission were accepted in 2014.
- 100 percent of current Newman students who interviewed for early admittance into the University of Kansas School of Medicine.Two current Newman juniors have been accepted into KUSM’s Scholars in Rural Health program, a highly competitive program that places doctors in rural communities in need of medical professionals.
- Newman is the only nursing program in Kansas (out of 37) to have a 90 percent + pass rate on the National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX) over the past four years.
- 96% of May 2015 nursing graduates passed the NCLEX on the first attempt.
- 100 percent of Newman University occupational therapy assistant students passed the National Board for Certification in Occupational Therapy (NBCOT) licensing test in 2014.
- Newman University is on the list of 2015 STEM Jobs Approved Colleges for its programs in Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM).
Follow Deborah Shaar on Twitter @deborahshaar
To contact KMUW News or to send in a news tip, reach us at email@example.com.