Monday, June 3
Global Village devotes the show to music from Haiti - from the nation’s ‘second national anthem,’ “Haiti Cheri,” through pioneers of modern Haitian music, to key compilations that brought Haitian music to the attention of a wider international audience, bold “roots” bands, and some contemporary hitmakers. Among the artists featured Nemours Jean-Baptiste, Tabou Combo, Les Vikings, Boukman Eksperyans, and Dat 7.
Tuesday, June 4
A special edition of the show as Global Village marks the birthday of Cuban-born saxophonist and clarinetist Paquito D’Rivera. We’ll hear some of the many Afro-Cuban, Caribbean, classical and other projects that he’s done as a leader and with Irakere, Yo-Yo Ma, the Caribbean Jazz Project, Berta Rojas, Andy Narell, and more.
Wednesday, June 5
Since 1972, the United Nations has declared June 5th to be World Environment Day to support environmental efforts around the globe. Global Village marks the occasion with a wide array of songs about the environment from such artists as Jimmy Cliff, 9Bach, Adrian Belew, Randy Newman, the Maria Schneider Orchestra, Bruce Cockburn and more.
Thursday, June 6
Global Village celebrates National Day of Sweden, a holiday in that country since 1916, with a program devoted to a wide array of artists and styles of Swedish music – including neo-folk, folk rock, jazz and more. Among the artists and groups featured are Garmarna, Hoven Droven, E.S.T., Ale Moller with Lene Willemark (from the Nordan Suite and with Frifot), Vasen, and Trio Mediaeval with Arve Henriksen.
Friday, June 7
It’s New Month/New Music time in the Global Village. Each month, Global Village devotes an entire show to the best of recently released and forthcoming world music albums. Among the highlights this time:
- Afro-Colombia meets Congolese Rumba from Dizzy Mandjeku with Ale Kuma
- Hungarian bands Sondorgo and Romano Drom
- The Anglo-Irish double-flute band Flook
- Turkish neo-psychedelic folk bands Altin Gun and Derya Yildirim & Grup Simsek
- The lively duo from Malawi, the Madalitso Band
- Vocal and pipes group Gaiteiros de Lisboa (helping to kick off the June Music of Portugal feature)
- And a classic reissue featuring Ebo Taylor, Pat Thomas and Uhuru Yenzu.