© 2023 KMUW
Play Live Radio
Next Up:
0:00 0:00
Available On Air Stations

KS Universities, Colleges Sign Transfer Agreement

A new agreement signed by universities and community colleges in Kansas can help students earn associate degrees. The program is aimed at helping students who transfer from a community college to a university.

Universities and community colleges in Kansas have signed an agreement that can help students earn associate degrees. The program is called “reverse transfer” and it will aid students who transfer to a university before finishing their associate degree at a community college. If a student earns the required credits for an associate degree at a university, the community college the student previously attended will automatically issue the degree. Breeze Richardson, with the Board of Regents, says this offers real benefits to Kansas students.

“The most transparent one is that if you for some reason didn’t finish your bachelor’s, but you finished that associate, to have that degree is really important as you move forward in your professional life.”

Richardson says Kansas is now one of 20 states with similar agreements between colleges and universities.

Stephen Koranda is Statehouse reporter for Kansas Public Radio and the Kansas News Service, a collaboration of KCUR, KMUW, Kansas Public Radio and High Plains Radio covering health, education and politics.